Friday, March 05, 2010

Should the Party or Parties Endorse Candidates before the Primary Elections?

For Governor of PA my clear choice is Sam Rohrer. I've found it offensive that the Republican Party endorsed another candidate a couple of weeks ago. The endorsed candidate, I assume, will be getting Party dollars for his campaign. Seems those dollars should be saved for the candidate who wins at the polls on May 18th. Shouldn't we the people/Republican voters be the ones to choose the candidate? Then the party should get behind that candidate - not advance someone as if we're all too ignorant to pick the right one!

I've been pondering this endorsement business for a couple of weeks. In speaking with someone involved with Sam Rohrer's campaign, the Party endorsement process did create some animosity.

I'm writing on this because I happened to come across this article this week --
The Case of the Non-endorsement Endorsement This tells of Bucks County's process for legislative candidates where they had candidates speak before the Party and then the Party chose a candidate to endorse. But, the selected candidate asked not to be endorsed because he felt it would be unfair to the other 8 candidates running against him. There evidently was speculation that he refused the endorsement because it might hurt him in the "anti-establishment-candidate fever sweeping the nation." At least, I can enjoy the humor in this. I've also learned, I think, that every County can choose whether to have an endorsement or leave it all in the hands of the voters. Guess which I prefer.

Want to get this message to the State Party leaders if this is a sentiment most of us would agree on - No More Pre-primary Endorsements!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home