Sunday, July 27, 2008

Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest
























July 27

Chamber's, in my humble opinion, is the most insightful writer of the modern era on Biblical truth, and the Holy Spirit jumps from his words on the page to my soul. Today, John 7:17 - "If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine...." I've read John 7 many times, but how many "jewels" have I missed? In today's reading, Chambers brings home:

1. One does not obtain spiritual wisdom by intellectual pursuit (e.g., studying and reading Scripture), but through obedience to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

2. Why do we feel distant, dead, not growing in our nearness to God? "Spiritual darkness is the result of there being something in Jesus' teachings that I do not intend to obey."

3. Examine the things you tend simply to shrug your shoulders about, and where you have refused to be obedient, and you will know why you are not growing spiritually."

The Bible says Christ learned obedience "through the things that he suffered." The more I read my Bible, the more I see how Christ is advanced through suffering and that suffering is something to be embraced. I'm reminded of Hannah Hurnard's, Hinds Feet on High Places. We need to climb the wall of fear that blocks our way to experiencing the fullness of the life of faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home