Wednesday, July 09, 2008

If you don't "work" for pay, you're a waste...





















With Samantha's series of injuries this past year, her 10th grade year, she returned to homeschool. Providentially, I had remained a stay-at-home mom and was available to help her through a difficult time. Such a blessing for us both! I am glad that I listened to my heart and trusted God instead of yielding to the pressure and the questions/criticisms of so many people, friends and family, who obviously think less of me for not getting out and "getting a job." I may "work for money" at some point in the future if it will improve the quality of our lives and God opens up that opportunity. For now, I think I'm right where I belong. I thank God and my husband for the life I've been given: that part when I've worked away from home, which I did for many years, and for the time I've had to be wife, mother, home educator, chauffeur, and available.

Returning to homeschool after a year in public school for medical reasons, Samantha was able to spend considerable time at UPMC's Center for Sports Medicine that would not otherwise have been possible. We were also able to travel to California, Arizona, Virginia, Ohio, and New Jersey for soccer appearances and college visits. We were at home alone, however, for many months while she completed full credits for five honors courses, learned to drive, and learned to overcome adversity upon adversity as one significant injury followed another. I know I will always cherish the time and friendship that exists between us because of the extended time we have had together home alone.

And, just to set the record straight-- Someone told me she was surprised I could create websites because I'd been a "stay-at-home" mom. The freedom of not having someone else decide how I would spend 40+ hours a week enabled me to learn and explore and read and write and teach others, and do the one thing that's been the passion of my life. Homeschooling has hardly been a handicap, and "before soccer" we were not always "at home; instead, we were presenting projects and participating in French Club, Science Club, Geography Club, Writing Club, making speeches in the capitol rotunda in Harrisburg, at Duquesne taking part in Telecommunity, volunteering at the Science Center, competing at Math Counts and Math Olympiad, and on and on. When home, there were 5 computer stations in use.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home