Monday, January 16, 2006

A Family Friend



This is our friend Wayne. We met him through Christian Coalition and have come to really love this young man who is a freshman at LaRoche College in Pittsburgh. He's from Kingston, Jamaica. If I follow-through with posting more regularly to this blog, you'll undoubtedly hear and see more of him. It's our privilege to know him and we've had wonderful times with him over Christmas and Thanksgiving when he went with us to DC.

So, that's how the picture came to be taken. Do you know the biggest impression Wayne has of our country? Its safety.

While he was with us this weekend, he shared that two more of his friends were murdered last week and a third was shot in the cheek/jaw as he was trying to escape. Wayne said if he hadn't been here in the US there was a good likelihood he would have been with them. He's told us of many friends and relatives that have been gunned down. Yesterday I asked him just how many people did he know who had been killed. He couldn't say because there were too many to count.

I've talked to Wayne's mother on the phone and seen pictures of his sisters and neices and nephews. I can picture these two young mem who just were killed and their families who are now grieving, and I grieve for them. Pray for them. Pray for upcoming elections in Jamaica. Pray for God's grace and intervention on that island. Pray Wayne's family would be shielded from the violence there.

For more information, check this out:
Jamaica, murder capital of the world

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home