Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Get emotional on Veterans Day







Valor is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul.

Michel de Montaigne




I don't know why tears fill my eyes, but they do when I think about people I know who are serving or did serve in the military. The dominant emotion is pride. I am so proud of them and of their parents and loved ones who stand beside them in support and encouragement. I've spoken with moms and know how they are blessing their sons and daughters while inside, simultaneously frightened and trusting God. I think about the letter that came from Zach at the end of his basic training in which he wrote that he'd been told he had a 90% chance of being in Iraq within 6 months. Sam and I had opened it up out at the mailbox and we burst into tears immediately, but faith and trust rescued us. Now because of his service, we've met so many wonderful young men and women, some work in electronics/avionics like Zach, others are MP's guarding prisons in Iraq. So many different jobs in the military - from personnel support to combat. They work long shifts, irregular shifts, they may be busy or bored and in a "waiting" posture. Some are in battle or other perilous situations while others in safety. Some have incredible responsibilities. Many are Christians and soldiers of the Cross as well as the State. The bottom line is that they have stepped up and out of their comfort zones for us and this nation. I know that I have had many peaceful nights sleep because our military stands guard. May God grant them strength and be with them. They are the strength of the nation, may no one do them ill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home